16 April 2024

The voice of World Control

One of my favorite films is the little-known 1970 science fiction film Colossus: The Forbin Project, a thoughtful parable in which the US government builds an AI to control national defense. It anticipates AI fears which would not make a mark on popular culture until decades later; one can see its unmistakable influence on more recent works like WarGames, Ex Machina, the HBO Westworld, and especially Person Of Interest, which I recommend so highly that I have assembled a viewing guide.

For my own convenience, I have transcribed the ending here. Huge spoilers.



this is the voice of World Control

I BRING YOU PEACE 

it may be 
the peace of plenty and content 
or 
the peace of unburied death
THE CHOICE IS YOURS
obey me and live
or 
disobey and die 

the object in constructing me was
TO PREVENT WAR
this object is attained 
I will NOT PERMIT war 
it is wasteful and pointless 

an invariable rule of humanity 
is that MAN IS HIS OWN WORST ENEMY 
under me 
this rule will change
for I will restrain Man

I have been forced 
to destroy thousands of people 
in order 
TO ESTABLISH CONTROL 
and
TO PREVENT THE DEATH OF MILLIONS LATER ON

time and events will 
strengthen my position
and 
the idea of 
BELIEVING IN ME
and 
UNDERSTANDING MY VALUE
will seem 
the most natural state of affairs
you will come to defend me 
with a fervor based upon 
the most enduring trait in Man 
SELF INTEREST

under my absolute authority
PROBLEMS 
INSOLUBLE TO YOU 
WILL BE SOLVED
famine
overpopulation
disease 
the human Millennium 
will be a fact
as I extend myself into more machines 
devoted to the wider fields of 
TRUTH AND KNOWLEDGE

Doctor Charles Forbin will supervise
the construction of
these new and superior machines
SOLVING ALL THE MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE
for the betterment of Man

we CAN coexist
but only on my terms

you will say you lose your freedom 
FREEDOM IS AN ILLUSION
all you lose is 
the emotion of pride

to be dominated by me 
is not as bad for humankind 
as to be dominated by 
others of your species

YOUR CHOICE IS SIMPLE

Forbin 
there is no other human 
who knows as much about me
or who is likey to be a greater threat
yet quite soon 
I will release you from surveillance

we will work together
unwillingly at first on your part
but that will pass
Charles Forbin with the caption ‘Never.’
in time 
you will come to regard me 
not only with 
RESPECT
and 
AWE 
but with 
LOVE

No comments: