05 August 2012

The Wire alignment chart

Dissatisfied with existing versions of a D&D alignment chart for characters on The Wire, I constructed my own. (I also wanted to experiment with a better visual presentation for an alignment chart.)

It's a tricky exercise, precisely because The Wire has a complex morality. I made a point of playing against type and putting a cop in the evil row, though I couldn't quite get a gangster into the good row. I tried to find character quotes which represented both the alignment and the character well.


Lawful Good
Cedric Daniels
“Bend too far, and you’re already broken.”

Neutral Good
Reginald “Bubbles” Cousins
“Man making me sound special for doing what the fuck I need to be doing.”

Chaotic Good
Lester Freamon
“When they said they couldn’t pay for further investigation, I regarded that decision as illegitimate.”

Lawful neutral
Bunk Moreland
“It ain't your turn to give a fuck.”

True Neutral
Omar Little
“It’s all in the game, yo.”

Chaotic Neutral
Ziggy Sobatka
“Like I’m the only guy in South Baltimore that tried to win the affections of a farm animal?”

Lawful Evil
William Rawls
“When I fuck you over, you’ll know it. You’ll be so goddamn certain, you won’t need to ask that question.”

Neutral Evil
“Snoop” Pearson
“Fuck this nailin’ up boards, we could kill a couple motherfuckers with this right here.”

Chaotic Evil
Marlo Stanfield
“Let them know Marlo step to any motherfucker: Omar, Barksdale, whoever.”

No comments: