15 June 2005

Superman, super-meanie

I figure all the depressing political stuff has proved my seriousness credentials. So today, I have for y'all a site of weird old superhero comics covers.

As scholars of the medium might guess, there's an entire gallery of gorilla-oriented covers. And another, entitled "seduction of the innocent," with examples of double entendrés that make you wonder if maybe Dr. Wertham was right after all. But the centerpiece is the "superdickery" gallery, of covers where Superman is being, well, a dick. Often, there's a caption that makes the hidden implications of the story clear. For example:

List of more pratical uses Superboy can make of a machine that can see through time:

  1. Betting on the outcomes of sporting events.
  2. Forseeing natural diasters and catastrophe.
  3. Letting Bruce Wayne know that his parents are going to be gunned down in front of his very eyes in a filthy alley, you dick!
Some of the covers are so bizarre that I presumed they had been photoshopped, until I saw in the FAQ that they were unretouched. Amazing.
Update: The original version of this post claimed that "a blogger friend of mine is apparently too proud to blog something this silly, but I'm not embarassed." Since the irridescent Indri confesses below, my editorial staff regrets the overstatement.

1 comment:

Indri said...

I'm not too proud to post just about anything...indeed, opposite problem: I haven't had any political content lately to balance this out!

And I knew you'd do it justice.

I could spend hours going through these. I really wish I could read the one where Lois Lane goes into the "body mold machine" and comes out a black woman.