09 August 2004

Abyss

I had thought that the news about Abu Graib was already as bad as it could possibly be.

I was wrong.

I don't want to sound melodramatic, but if you're reading this at work or some other place where you can't spare the time to fall into a foul mood right now, you may want to wait to follow the link. It's not that there are pictures, it's just very depressing news.

I haven't been able to find full confirmation of the story on the web, but there's this from ABC Australia and this from a German news site.

And Seymour Hersh, who broke the story of the My Lai massacre almost exactly 35 years ago and broke Abu Graib in The New Yorker, gave a scathing talk at the ACLU a month ago in which he claimed that there's video. He said he doesn't have the confirmation ready to put the worst of it in print ... yet ... but that he's convinced that it's true. DeLong had the story and I missed it somehow.

Hersh has hinted that he has a source in the Pentagon.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just

— Thomas Jefferson

Passed on by way of Ken MacLeod, by way of Thorn, both of whom have things to say about it.

No comments: