18 January 2004

When I agree with Tom Friedman, I now doubt myself

Friedman's latest column says in so many words that Israel must get out of the West Bank and Gaza Strip as soon as possible and evacuate most of the settlements.
Let's not mince words. American policy today toward the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is insane.
...
The Bush team destroyed the Iraqi regime in three weeks and has not persuaded Israel to give up one settlement in three years. To think America can practice that sort of hypocrisy and win the war of ideas in the Arab-Muslim world is a truly dangerous fantasy.
I agree with Friedman's pro-Israeli-security / anti-Israeli-policy fundamental philosophy. But after a year of him as an Iraq invasion apologist, his writing all smells fishy to me. Am I missing something here?

No comments: