10 August 2005

What George denied us

A while ago, I plugged Darth Vader's blog. It seems the Dark Lord of the Sith has made his last post, and it is a triumph, tying the whole story together.

My son said, “I know there is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That was why you couldn't destroy me, that's why you won't bring me to your Emperor now.”

....

Through the fabric of the Force I could feel him reaching out to me, his hand open. It just about broke my heart. Only Shmi Skywalker knew love that pure, and I felt her spirit stir within him to my horror and shame. I took hold of the railing, fearing I would fall.

And then I felt the slithering tentacles of Darth Sidious' mind descend upon my consciousness, encircling my wounded heart and cooling it. A voice in my thoughts asked me what destiny of chaos I would have the galaxy face if not for the strength of the enduring New Order. My spirit suffused with a dark light, and my leg began to feel normal again.

I turned around to face my son. “You don't understand the power of the dark side. I must obey my master.”

Luke made his appeal again, stepping up to me and searching my lenses with his eyes. “I feel the conflict with you, let go of your hate!”

Poor fool, if only he knew. Innocent as a junior temple youngling, he parroted the dead preachings of an extinct order of loveless charlatans. If only the difference between dark and light were so simple as not being afraid. He cannot conceive of the fear he must know if he is to face the burden of the true Force.

I swear, it even manages to make poetic sense out of Shmi Skywalker's virgin birth. If you have any love left for Star Wars, check it out.

No comments: