Recent conversations remind me to observe that I find that I have no difficulty at all holding all of these ideas simultaneously:
- Julian Assange is a hero for his work with Wikileaks
- The vigorous pursuit of Assange to face trial for accusations of rape is unmistakably a political attack
- The crime which Assange has been accused of committing is really rape, and really serious
It is right that he should stand trial because ...
- The accusations are plausible
- The accusations are plausibly false
- If convicted, he should be punished under the law
If you remain unclear on what the accusation is and why it merits criminal prosecution, Alas, A Blog has a list of resources.