Here's a first draft for a short list of the central challenges for building a good society. It's why I'm skeptical of anarchists, for example.
- Critical thinking skills are difficult to teach and cognitively expensive to exercise
- Solutions don't scale, but our intuition expects them to
- Expertise means learning where common sense is wrong
- The Dunning-Kruger effect
- Most people are emotionally adolescent
- Most people are dumb
- A few people have severe psychological pathologies — psychopathy, narcissism, borderline personality disorder — which are highly destructive to the people and social order which encounter them