07 December 2008

Haven

This story contains about a hundred layers of heartbreak.
There's growing support among many Nebraska lawmakers to limit the safe haven law to children no older than three days. But several lawmakers said they'll push for something closer to a 30-day age limit.

The safe haven law was meant to protect infants, but there is no age limit under the current law. Five of the abandoned children were brought to Nebraska from out of state. Parents have traveled into Nebraska from Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Florida and Georgia.

Tysheema Brown drove from Georgia to leave her teenage son at an Omaha hospital.

“Do not judge me as a parent. I love my son and my son knows that,” Brown said. “There is just no help. There hasn't been any help.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Gods.

I can't even begin to write an analysis of this.

Anonymous said...

A pitiful nation......hope this will change over the next four years.

Mom