11 September 2008

9/11

Each year I try to find something that reminds me how I felt at the time.

For your reflection, I offer archives from The Onion: their masterful first issue after 9/11, which managed to make the Onion voice relevant to the times. Funny, incisive, and even moving.

My personal favourite article: God Angrily Clarifies ‘Don't Kill’ Rule.

“I tried to put it in the simplest possible terms for you people, so you'd get it straight, because I thought it was pretty important,” said God, called Yahweh and Allah respectively in the Judaic and Muslim traditions. “I guess I figured I'd left no real room for confusion after putting it in a four-word sentence with one-syllable words, on the tablets I gave to Moses. How much more clear can I get?”

“But somehow, it all gets twisted around and, next thing you know, somebody's spouting off some nonsense about, ‘God says I have to kill this guy, God wants me to kill that guy, it's God's will,’ ” God continued. “It's not God's will, all right? News flash: ‘God's will’ equals ‘Don't murder people.’ ”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read that at the time and thinking absobloominlutely right! Thank you for posting it on this the 7th anniversary.

love,
Mom