30 June 2008

Dancing

A beautiful film.

14 months in the making, 42 countries, and a cast of thousands. Thanks to everyone who danced with me.

Ten years ago, video cameras were too heavy and too expensive, video editing was still the province of expensive equipment or software, and online distribution of video to anyone with the wherewithal to have access to a computer was inconceivable. Ten years from now, oil prices will make air travel categorically more expensive.

So “a 31-year-old deadbeat from Connecticut” doing a funny little dance and turning it into a moving work of art is something that could only exist in this moment.

Matt is not rich. Matt also doesn't have some magical secret for traveling cheaply. He does it pretty much the same way everybody else does.

Matt thinks Americans need to travel abroad more.

WhereTheHellIsMatt.com


Update: His Ask Me Anything on Reddit in 2012.


Update: A new video for 2012. And another for 2014. And 2016. He's been at this for a decade now. It turns out that this doesn't get old.


Richard Dunn's “I'm stuck in the airport” masterpiece All By Myself made me think of Matt.

Variation on the theme: Rick Mereki - Move

3 comments:

batojar said...

This is fantastic - I got a little misty watching it. I showed it to my daughter right away.

Although he did find a cheap way to travel - it seems he got Stride Gum to pay for the whole thing. Just sayin'.

Jonathan Korman said...

Yeah. That a gum maker I never heard of can afford to support this guy's travel and consider it a useful promotional expense is its own demonstration of the peculiarities of our time.

batojar said...

Yeah, I never heard of them either. Appently it's a new product from Cadbury-Schweppes, so they've got money to burn. Matt has a whole section of his own on their website - so I think they are leveraging those dollars for all they're worth.

Seems to make sense to me. After all, I'm one of the most adphobic people I know, and here I am looking at their $#@! website.