28 July 2006

Comics artist

Alexa Kitchen is a prolific young comic book artist who has a book coming out soon, Drawing Comics is Easy! (Except When It's Hard!). Advance reviews are positive.

In case you're wondering, yes, Alexa is the daughter of comics publisher Denis Kitchen. She's eight years old.

I particularly like her one page comic “New Jersey,” which I'd say is a witty homage to Charles and Ray Eames if I didn't know that she probably hasn't seen Powers of Ten. Dig that fourth panel!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At Comic-con this year, Scott McCloud had a session on his new book "Making Comics" (followup to his outstanding "Understanding Comics" and "Reinventing Comics").

After a spectacular session previewing the books (his Jungian deconstruction of comic art was the most intense 15 seconds I've ever experienced), his kids got up to give a wonderful presentation on their national tour to promote the book.

Most 30 year olds would be blessed to have the poise, wit, and insight of Scott's 13 year old daughter as she took the crowd of 300+ people through the trip. Kids these days...

http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html

Indri said...

Don't assume she hasn't seen 'Powers of Ten'--I'd seen it by the time I was her age, a couple of times. At least once at school.

What knocks me out is her handwriting.