07 July 2005

London

Nous sommes tous britanniques

Dozens are dead in terrorist attacks on London's public transit system.

DeLong comments

We mourn with the citizens of London.

We pledge to help track down and kill the perpetrators, the planners, and their helpers.

We note that it is 46 months after September 11, 2001, and that Osama bin Laden is still alive and at liberty. That somebody can plan September 11, 2001 and remain alive and at liberty provides powerful encouragement to those who think of following in his footsteps -- including those who planned, aided, and carried out today's atrocity in London.

More attention to Osama bin Laden and his ilk, please. And less attention to using Osama bin Laden as a pretext for launching hair-brained neoconservative schemes, please.

Allow me to second that.


Update: Snakey rightly takes me to task.

I don't want the perpetrators killed. I think quite enough people have been killed today.
Just so. I don't want the perpetrators killed, I want them prevented from killing again. If we must kill them to prevent their future crimes, then I am comfortable with that. But I would vastly prefer to have them captured, given a fair trial, and allowed to live on unable to cause more mischief.

No comments: