20 September 2004

Lobster

So I saw this silly AP wire story on Salon.
Edward Furlong's ploy to free some lobsters from their tank landed the actor in jail.
...
The animal-rights supporter and vegetarian was arrested after he and some friends removed lobsters from a tank at a Meijer grocery store. Furlong argued with store managers, who then called police, according to his arrest citation.

Furlong was unsteady on his feet, his speech was slurred and his breath smelled of alcohol, the citation said.

For what it's worth, I once had an aggressively vegetarian sweetheart whom I had to dissuade from doing the same thing while she was completely sober. "What, are they going to crawl to the Maine coast?" I asked, imagining the havoc that the wily crustaceans would create scampering down the supermarket aisles.

"They would be free!" she would insist. It was hard to argue. I was very young, and she had freckles.

No comments: