I've been looking for a short description of the “neofeudal” order developing in our society and economy, and I find that Umair Haque delivers it in his short post The Neofeudal Degeneration.
- Output fetishism
Update: Another quick summary from Haque describing this future in a different way, ganked from his Twitter feed:
- If you're part of the global poor, your life is probably going to improve. In some places, radically.
- If you're part of the middle class, especially in advanced economies, your future's going to be difficult.
- Middle classes will get bigger TVs, and eBooks, Tacocopters, but they won't get jobs, gains, wealth, security, or public goods.
- The real beneficiaries of this order are the global super-rich, whose gains are mounting at a truly staggering degree.
- And the real cost of this order is that we're deconstructing the elements of the great liberal project, that propelled humanity forward.
- If the future consists of “I Saw Your Boobs” and internet memes and AR glasses, it's not really a future. It's more of an anti-future.
- The pundits and the powers that be will tell you: all the preceding's OK, just fine, perfect, the only possibility. It's not.
- There's no one solution. There are billions of solutions. You are the solution.
Links reveal Twitter replies, many of which are interesting.