19 May 2009

Commericals

I've been grumbling for a while now about having heard the Ramones' “Blitzkreig Bop” in a TV commercial. “Is nothing sacred?” But for this I blame the advertisers, not the Ramones: clearly some suit sold “Bop” to another suit. It is very, very strange to me that someone thought that the Ramones were an appropriate way to sell sugar water, but what do I know?

But counterculture celebrity pitchmen really freak me out. William S Burroughs selling running shoes. John Lyden selling butter. Dennis Hopper selling financial planning. Iggy Pop selling ... well, I'm not quite sure what he's selling. Something dot com.

It's not right.

I need Dan Le Sac to remind me what's important.

Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were.

The Beatles were just a band.
Led Zepplin: Just a band.
The Beach Boys: Just a band.
The Sex Pistols: Just a band.
The Clash: Just a band.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Guinness using Iggy Pop's "The Passenger" in a commercial and having no idea why. That was many, many years ago, and I remember at the time thinking Guinness had paid some guy to cover Siouxsie and the Banshees.