28 October 2005

Everywhere

Whaddaya know. George Takei, who played Sulu on Star Trek, just came out as gay.
You know, it’s not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through. It’s more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen. And then some doors are open and light comes in, and there are skylights and it widens. Brad’s my partner, we’ve been together for 18 years. So, I’ve been "open," but I have not talked to the press. In that sense, maybe that’s another opening of the corridor there.
Takei is an all-around cool guy: friendly to Trek fans, still a hardworking actor, involved in civil rights and other political stuff --- not least talking about how he spent a good chunk of his childhood in an internment camp. Bravo to him for taking what is still, alas, a tough step.

1 comment:

Indri said...

I was completely unsurprised by this; I have to admit that I always thought Sulu was supposed to be gay.