03 July 2005

St. Diana

Hip Episcopal Bishop John Shelby Spong thinks Wonder Woman is cool.

If the goal of organized religion is to call people to the fullness of their humanity, as I believe it is, then perhaps church leaders ought to look at those they hold up as role models. Both Wonder Woman and the Virgin Mary are mythological figures. The church does not like to admit that, but it is true. Neither woman, as we have come to know them, ever lived in history. Only one of them pretends to be historical, the other freely admits she is not.

But Wonder Woman has done more to break the culturally imposed boundaries on women than the Virgin Mary ever did. Wonder Woman has shaped, freed, and transformed more women’s limits than the Virgin Mary has done in 2000 years. If it were possible to do so, I would nominate her for sainthood.

Who am I to argue?


Updates


Storm Faerywolf offers a modern Pagan appreciation.

Let me begin this missive by stating that it is my sincere belief that the character “Wonder Woman,” the beloved superheroine of comic book fame, is a modern form of an ancient goddess. Though some might scoff at such an assertion, I mean it with all the sincerity and deep spiritual reverence that a person of considerable devotion can offer.

My faith in this claim is based on personal experience, but also in hearing the stories of others who have shared similar views. I have written about Wonder Woman previously as a spiritual and magical focal point, and I was not prepared for the amount of correspondence I would receive from those who felt the same.


Comics writer Greg Rucka:

She’s not going crazy, she’s not neurotic — you look at every other superhero ever and they are all malfunctioning in some way. In some way, they are internally malfunctioning — Diana really isn’t, even with all the paradoxes and conflicts, she may be the most well-adjusted superhero out there.

Comics writer Gail Simone’s famous comment ...

If you need to stop an asteroid, you call Superman. If you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But if you need to end a war, you call Wonder Woman.

... and another comment from her when the United Nations rescinded her status as a UN ambassador. (Really.)

Wonder Woman doesn’t fight bank robbers, she fights against warlords and despots. She works to protect the innocent and stop bloodshed. Not only is that pretty goddamn amazing, but you’ll forgive me if I think that’s a pretty good inspiration for the UN and its mission. She’s the one action hero icon with peace in her mission statement.
[⋯]
The other thing I haven’t heard as much is this ... yes, women everywhere, all around the world have been inspired by Wonder Woman. I have talked about this a thousand times...how one woman became an actual astronaut because of Diana. And so much more,,, People got through chemo because of her, they got out of abusive situations leaning on her example and borrowing her strength. If a literary character saves lives and heals souls, then goddamn, let her do her work, says me. We need as much of that as we can get.

But here’s the other thing I find bitter. Everyone is focusing on her inspiration to women, understandably. But there’s so much more. I traveled the world as a Wonder Woman writer, and I cannot begin to convey how important she is to many, many LGBTQ readers. Why aren’t people bringing this up? I have no idea. But it’s no secret to anyone who worked on the book. Wonder Woman saves LGBTQ lives. I have had untold numbers of gay men, non-binary teens, and transfolk tell me that Diana kept them going. That she spoke to them directly. I’ve lost count of the gay, bi- and poly women who have shrines to her in their homes, for the message of acceptance she gives. And here’s the thing...we live in a time now where this message can appear in media, sometimes. But it’s been Diana’s message for decades.

A word from me:

In Jenkins’ first film, Diana gets a look of sadness when Trevor — following her across No Man’s Land — shoots German soldiers. So she shakes her head No, leaps into the German lines, and breaks their guns to save their lives.

And for dessert, a close reading of Diana eating ice cream in the Wonder Woman film.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You realize, of course, that Joss Whedon has been tapped to make a Wonder Woman film.