22 June 2004

Fire And Motion

Famed software development philosopher Joel Spolsky has a little observation about how you get things done.

When I was an Israeli paratrooper a general stopped by to give us a little speech about strategy. In infantry battles, he told us, there is only one strategy: Fire and Motion. You move towards the enemy while firing your weapon. The firing forces him to keep his head down so he can't fire at you. (That's what the soldiers mean when they shout “cover me.” It means, “fire at our enemy so he has to duck and can't fire at me while I run across this street, here.” It works.) The motion allows you to conquer territory and get closer to your enemy, where your shots are much more likely to hit their target. If you're not moving, the enemy gets to decide what happens, which is not a good thing. If you're not firing, the enemy will fire at you, pinning you down.

I remembered this for a long time. I noticed how almost every kind of military strategy, from air force dogfights to large scale naval maneuvers, is based on the idea of Fire and Motion. It took me another fifteen years to realize that the principle of Fire and Motion is how you get things done in life. You have to move forward a little bit, every day.

The rest of his essay is about procrastination and software development, if you like that sort of thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mkb sez: "I am currently fighting the urge to make all manner of bad James Taylor jokes. I would like a cookie, please."